Posted by Brenna Malmberg
I sure know a lot about a vacation I didn't go on. That vacation would be the one my parents, brother and his girlfriend went on as part of my mom's national bowling even in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. They drove from Kansas to Louisiana, making stops in Texas and Mississippi along the way. All the while, my dad was sending postcards from all the attractions they hit up. In total, I got 11 postcards in the mail!
Want to see all the "cool" places they went? You're in luck. I photographed all the postcards for you, including the back with all their cool messages. :)
1. Houston, Texas, Aquarium: Apparently the rays are slimy, at least according to my dad. And what kind of aquarium has a ferris wheel?
2. Magnolia Market: If you watch HGTV, you are probably pretty familiar with Chip and Joanna and this market they have down in Waco. This is actually the second piece of mail we have got from this place in less than a month. Everyone just wants to visit.
3. Dr Pepper Museum: Not exactly what I pictured as the first place they bottled my favorite soda, but cool nonetheless.
4. The Beer Can House: Oh, Dad. Of course you loved visiting this crazy house. But, maybe let's not use this as inspiration on the farm.
5. Starr Family Home: Some Texas history for all of us to enjoy. I think I might leave it off my Texas-must see list. :P
6. Biedenharn Coca-Cola Museum: More soda knowldge, just Coca-Cola this time. You even get to see the equipment that bottled the first Coca-Cola in 1894.
7. Nottoway Plantation: Dad had it right. So much history because it's a 53,000-square-foot home. It's not surprising that it's the largest antebellum house in the South.
8. Frogmore Plantation: See the cotton process of the 1800s and of today at this Louisiana plantation. They've got 1,800 acres of cotton, so they know a thing or two.
10. Longwood Plantation: Another plantation. And another plantation funded by cotton. It wasn't actually finished though because of the Civil War.
11. Magnolia Bluffs Casino & Hotel: Zero surprised that my parents stayed at a place that shuttled them to the casino for free.
That's the whole lot of them. Thanks, Dad, for all the cool postcards!